Submit your survey by January 12th for Air Force Funded STTR Projects
UWM Handpicked as Pilot Partner to Boost Participation in Department of Air Force Funded STTR Projects.
Hundreds of thousands of dollars in research funding could be yours if you have expertise in energy systems, advanced manufacturing, materials science, power and propulsion, biomedical, hypersonics, human performance, sensors, and more. UWM was selected to participate in an exciting new program – STTReamline – that matches university researchers with small business partners to address US Department of Air Force innovation needs.
Designed to boost participation in the federal Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program, STTReamline increases the research funding amount over previous years and reduces application barriers such as complexity and finding suitable partners. To make our university standout as a desirable collaborating partner, the UWM Research Foundation is taking stock of UWM strengths – centers, service labs, specialized equipment, and faculty expertise. We will submit this list to our STTReamline advisors in early January.
To this end, we need your help. If you are open to being a research collaborator on an Air Force STTR project, please complete the short survey by January 12th at this link: Link to survey.
STTReamline Program Timeline:
- Jan 9, 2024: Deadline for submitting list of UWM expertise and capabilities. UWM Research Foundation will send this to our STTReamline advisors.
- Jan 16-23: Matchmaking. STTReamline advisors share our list of capabilities with 70+ small businesses that are looking for research partners on STTR projects.
- Jan 23-Feb 7: Meetings. STTReamline advisors and UWM Research Foundation will facilitate meetings between small businesses and UWM researchers to discuss potential research projects.
- Feb 7: Department of Air Force solicitation opens for Phase I STTR proposals.
- Mar 7: Deadline for STTR proposals.
- May 5: STTR award notification
- Jun 5-Sep 5: Perform project
- Aug, 2024: Second STTR Phase I solicitation expected to open.
Department of Air Force STTR Basics:
Phase I Project:
- Goal: 3-month feasibility study with main goal of identifying an Air Force end user and customer with expressed interest in the innovation once it is developed.
- Funding amount: Up to $31K for the UWM partner. Phase I is mainly a grad student customer discovery project that tees things up for the more lucrative Phase II research project.
Phase II Project:
- Goal: Up to 2-year R&D project that often results in the development of a prototype or demonstration.
- Funding amount: About $225K or more for the UWM partner.